Thursday 7 May 2020

Lockdown Blessings in Shades of Green


If I could fly
I'd never, never sail
I'd trap the moon
Above the water
In a pail

Jack Frost, where have you gone to
With your midnight dream ?
Didn't you promise
To turn me on to
Blessings in shades of green
Rod McKuen Lyrics




The British Isles are known for green fields and green hills, although perhaps with the growing use of rapeseed more of the fields are turning to a brighter shade of yellow.  We had made some plans to initially explore some of the green areas of Northumberland with photography in mind.  That is on the backburner for the time being along with other plans, but thankfully I have some verdancy to look out upon from my window whilst in lockdown.  I realise it is a mixed blessing that many of us are trapped for long periods in our homes during a spring offering such wonderful weather, and which has brought a better than usual colour and blossom.  I count my blessings that I have a small garden to step into, as I realise not everyone has that.  I nevertheless continue to dream of wide-open spaces, fell and mountain, expansive sky and seascapes and some freedom of movement.  I am certainly missing the occasional trip out to wilder areas to watch birds.  I even admit I am missing the closeness of (some) people.





For many, a garden means brightly coloured flowers.  I don’t think flowers are necessary to provide a rewarding scene and I would happily settle for shades of green.  Shades which are at their bet after a heavy shower of rain and as brighter skies begin to break through leaden storm clouds.  The rain enhances the aromas and that very air seems to taste better.  It is not only the shades of green changing in the varying light that are noteworthy, but also the textural variations which add so much interest.  I learned a good deal about colour hues and textures when I attempted to paint.  Sadly, I also learned that I had little talent for painting, but much information was useful and the experience certainly trained my eyes to see things more clearly, and appreciate more what is before me.  I have not regretted that.  I also learned that a limited palette often leads to fine results.   I went to no great effort to capture these images shown, just picked up the camera and pointed at areas in the garden in differing lighting conditions.  I have found that overcoming boredom can lead to new pathways, or in this case fill a few minutes of time with at least some action.





 There is no denying that a green background does make the vibrant colour of birds, insects and blooms stand out, but on this occasion I keep my images in the main, simply green.




If you are interested in colour shown at its best, and I know there are artists who are also bloggers, you may be interested in the two books by Carry Akroyd shown below.  Carry Akroyd’s work is strongly influenced by the poetry and life of John Clare. These works contain snippets of poems by the poet and explanations as to the link between poet and artistic offerings.  All is nature related and many one way or another mourn the loss of habitat   I came to appreciate Akroyd’s mixed artwork over a period, and now find that they strongly appeal to me.  Akroyd looks at Clare country as it is today and shares I’m sure the frustrations that Clare felt in his day, as to the effects of manmade change on the countryside flora and wildlife  These will be books I shall look through time and time again, and do include some works of wider areas than simply Clare country.  Bass Rock is one example.  In terms of books, these have been my best buy in sometime.  I would strongly recommend them for lockdown relaxation.


I will end with an image of a Greenfinch from the garden.





No comments:

Post a Comment