Tuesday 12 May 2020

By the Window Watching a Wren and Evening Out.


Wren song had been filling the air around the garden now for some days and even the Blackbirds were struggling to compete.  I think lots of listeners find it hard to believe that such a song comes from such a small bird.  It was one of the first bird songs I became aware of many years ago and I struggle to believe there was once a time I took little notice of bird song.


I had managed to capture images of most garden visiting birds these past weeks but I had failed with the Wren.  Its infrequent sightings and quick movements had led to frustration.  Then I was finally rewarded with the chance to photograph this elusive visitor.  I tried my usual method of sitting with the patio door ajar but this wise bird was not fooled, so I gave up and decided to settle for images through the window, with the added hindrance of poor lighting conditions at times.  For its part, the bird performed well.



When the Wren decided to nest build in the small nest box I was delighted, although perhaps the Blue Tits which have used this box in recent years were not so pleased.  This ornamental box, received as a gift years ago, was one I never thought would be used.



Its many years ago since Wrens decided to nest in a box in the garden.  On this occasion it ended in disaster, as just at the time the young were about to fledge the box was attacked and wrecked one early morning by what we assumed was a Magpie/s.  None of the young survived and for days after it was sad to watch the adult Wrens flying to the now absent box in bemusement.   Now of course we have the killer cats to contend with too and I noticed one had been watching the Wren collecting nesting material and was soon sniffing around, that is until it saw me!!!


Today all has gone quiet, so I am not sure if there is a Wren in the box or not.  It is a species known to build several nests until the female picks one she likes, so maybe she has not been drawn to plush accommodation adjoining my property.  Well, birds like people I guess can be so choosey!   I am keeping watch through the window (cats be warned).



During my watch of the Wren a pair of Bullfinches appeared on the feeder and tucked into the Black sunflower seed.



The garden seems to have been heavily visited by birds recently, but perhaps it is just because I’ve been watching so intently, more than I have done for many a year.
A Wren has returned.  Watching and waiting.

I spent what was of late, a rare evening out on patch with Sam tonight, keeping to the two-metre rule.  It was a cold, damp and at times windy May evening with layers of grey cloud passing overhead for most of the time we were out.  It did at least for a couple of hours feel as though we were back to normal.

The Lapwings were mainly bunkered down but we did see them in some number along with two of the chicks.  Skylarks sang overhead as did Blackbirds, Song Thrush, Wren, Common Whitethroat, Willow Warbler and Yellowhammer from the hedges.  A Grasshopper Warbler was heard a couple of times from an area where we have both found this species in the past.  Linnets and Goldfinch were among other birds seen and Grey Partridge was heard briefly.   Despite the downturn in the weather we had a fine walk with very few people about to disturb us.  As I say, it all seemed like the old normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment