Saturday 1 October 2011

Killy Hit by Blue Green Algae

Red Admiral Butterfly

Speckled Wood Butterfly.

Autumnal 'Conker'.

Autumnal changes.


1st Oct. That’s the lake, not the birder! I assume that the very hot days of late have contributed to the cause of this, although I’m uncertain as to when the notices went up! The notices are not especially noticeable, if you know what I mean, so I’m not sure how seriously North Tyneside Council has taken this! Approaching the smaller lake I saw no notices until I reached the road between the two lakes. It advised that the water not be touched and that pets should be kept out of the lake. So anyone approaching from the direction I did may well have had their dog into the lake or maybe had children fishing before seeing the notice! I don’t know that much about blue/green algae, but I do know it can be very dangerous so I decided against any skinny dipping today. I’m assuming if it continues the lakes will be taped off, as I think this has happened on previous occasions.


Despite it seeming like the height of summer the leaves are beginning to fall. There were two Little Grebes on the larger lake, but little else of special note. Gulls included Black Headed, Herring, Common and Lesser Black Backed. On my return I watched the Sparrowhawk in flap and glide flight over the playing fields and adjoining estates.


Both Speckled Wood and Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly were seen near the reeds of the larger lake. White species were in flight too and I later spotted a Red Admiral Butterfly.


I’m pleased I took a walk out today before listening to the match, as rain is approaching from Scotland and is forecast for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment