Tuesday 27 September 2011

It Might as Well be Spring

27th Sept. Walking back from Forest Hall I decided to divert towards the lake. Two Chiffchaffs were singing in the trees near the church grounds as the heat of this autumn day began to build. I thought it rather spring like again as I watched a Coot carrying sticks to add to a nest in the centre of the smaller lake. Two grown young were sat on top of the nest. Lesser Black Backed Gulls and Common Gulls were in amongst the large flock of Black Headed Gulls.


I found a both single Little and Great Crested Grebe on the larger lake and at least seven Cormorants. Two of the latter were looking for fish whilst the others dried out, looking distinctly reptilian.


The eleven Greylag Geese in groups of seven and four out numbered the nine Canada Geese remaining at the lake. The group of seven Greylags were the two adults that had bred here earlier in the year and their still thriving offspring. Did all of the other Canada Geese move to Holywell? There was a fair number down there the last time I looked.


On Sunday I noticed large numbers of Red Admiral Butterflies on the wing. I noticed only one today. I did spot a first for the garden yesterday, in the form of a Speckled Wood Butterfly. This butterfly has began a colonisation of the area in recent years, but this was certainly the first one I have seen in the garden.


After an exciting pelagic at the beginning to September the rest of the month seems to have been a bit of a damp squib for me. I need to re-find my spark and will hopefully do so with a trip before the month is out.

No comments:

Post a Comment