Monday 3 May 2010

Whitethroat Returns to Patch

3rd May. My first stop today was at the Nuthatch nest hole. I stood for quite some time in a very cold wind and was beginning to wonder if the nest had been deserted, when in flew a Nuthatch. I waited a while longer, but it didn’t come back out of the nest. I was so cold by then I can’t say I blame it!

Next bird of interest was a singing Blackcap, one of two seen today. Good numbers of Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff were singing as I visited the area that I knew from experience hold Whitethroat. I again hung around for sometime, but at least this time I was in the sun and warm. I was just about to move on when I got my eye on my first Whitethroat (male) of the year. Not that early I know, but last year it was 17th May before I found one on patch in this exact area. Pleased with my sighting I began to move off when I heard a Grasshopper Warbler calling. I decided to give some more time to watching for it. I never did find it. I eventually made off to the area where I had heard the Grasshopper Warbler a few days ago, but that area was silent.

Other birds seen today included Wren, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, House Martin, Chaffinch, Goldfinch and Greenfinch along with the usual tits, corvids and pigeons. As I made of up the hill to home I caught sight of a Sparrowhawk high in the sky. It was soon out of sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment