Sunday 16 May 2010

Rain and the Rising Sun!

I am becoming convinced that there is a link to rainfall and my visiting the Rising Sun Country Park.:-) I was involved in a Walk and Talk event there today. As it happens, whilst the talk bit seemed to go very well, with some very keen and knowledgable youngsters attending, we never got as far as completing the walk as the heavens opened as we were about to begin it. Thankfully my talk had over run by about ten minutes so at least that prevented us all being soaked to the skin! Seems to be a regular occurrence this rain when I visit the park. Anyway the rain cleared the park of visitors.

The weather did settle eventually allowing a few of us involved in the day to go for a walk down to Swallow Pond. With Swallows and Swifts overhead we stood and listened to the song of the Song Thrush. Birds on the pond included a family of Canada Geese along with Shoveller, Tufted Duck, Pochard and Lesser Black Backed Gulls, with Common Terns on the false island. The Blackcap made a loud alarm call from the trees and was eventually seen.

Bird of the day was the Green Woodpecker seen flying behind the trees, looking in the direction of the old slag heap. First time I have seen Green Woodpecker at the park. I went all of 2009 without seeing a Green Woodpecker and now I have seen two within three days!

No comments:

Post a Comment