Sunday 21 March 2010

Chiffchaffs Back on Patch!

21st Mar. It’s officially spring and the sun shining, so I took a short walk on patch again having watched Man Utd beat Liverpool. Ha way the ‘Gunners’ is all I can say!

No calls so I thought I was to be disappointed again until I got my eye on a Chiffchaff low in the scrub area behind the village, an area where I would expect to find them. An ideal nesting area I would think. I’ve on one occasion found an over wintering bird here, but I’m confident that there have been none over wintering in this area this winter. I think I got my eye on a couple but difficult to tell as it/they kept low in the scrub until flying into the trees and out of sight. Whilst I stood and watched I got my eye on the first of two pairs of Bullfinch seen today, the latter pair told only by shape and white rump. Both pairs are in the areas where normally seen in spring.

There was lots of bird song today from finches, tits, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Robin, Wren and Skylark. The pigeons, Starlings and House Sparrows were making some noise too! I found a couple of Mistle Thrush in the fields along with the ever present Wood Pigeons. What looked to be a pair of Long Tailed Tits were seen. As I arrived home a Dunnock was singing its heart out from the top of the low tree outside of the house.

It was good to hear so much song from Wrens which surely have taking quite a bashing during the freezing winter. They were definitely the dominant songsters today and appear to have taken up many territories.

No comments:

Post a Comment