Tuesday 1 February 2022

January on Patch

 I’ve not left the patch to seek birds and nature throughout January, and I think my mind has benefitted from a return to basics and the enjoyment of nature on my doorstep.  I’m mindful that my interests in nature began on patch many years ago, so it has felt like a return to those years and I have had much enjoyment from the short and on occasions longer walks which helped to shake off the cobwebs and clear the mind.  I’m hoping that I still have readers of the blog who I know enjoyed the focus upon patch wanderings.

1st Year Winter Scaup

Has January ever provided so many clear blue skies and sun during the years of my watching?  I think not.  It was only the gales of the later days of the month that blighted the month and took numerous trees down across the area, some of them of good age.  Possibly because of such fine weather the bird numbers have in general been low across the patch.  Of course, birdlife present around the area has changed over the years.  I’ve yet to see a Greenfinch this year, so badly effected by disease over the years and I was doubting that I was going to see a Coal Tit until one returned to my garden on the 30th.  The lake too has been noticeably quiet with the Goosanders leaving early, probably enticed to their breeding sites.  The fact that the lake has been affected by the Avian Flu taking a toll on the Mute Swans and we think Canada Geese has been depressing.  I know many other areas of Northumberland have been affected to a lesser or greater degree.  The Gadwall which have begun to frequent the lake in recent years have also left and I have seen no sign of Shovelers.  It was the lake that Sam and I visited during the later days of the month to find the Scaup.

1st Year Winter Scaup

The first winter Scaup provided exceptionally good photo opportunities for us and many other photographers.  It is an interesting bird just beginning to come into summer plumage so we are hoping it may hang around for a while so that we can watch the plumage developing.  Already more noticeable over a couple of days is the vermiculation on the back of the bird.  The greater size of this bird compared to Tufted Duck is very noticeable when the two are seen close by one another.  No doubt a life at sea and feeding habits for the Scaup has played some part in the evolutionary development.

Displaying Goldeneye

Goldeneye

Goldeneye

We took the opportunity to photograph other waterfowl including the Goldeneye.  Finding a suitable angle was not always easy so bright was the sun.  The Oystercatcher feeding in the pools on the grass took our eye as did the much-underrated Jackdaws one of which is white winged and we believe has been around for years.

Togetherness.  Jackdaws are attractive birds.

Sam and I have watched and studied Great Crested Grebes on the lake for many years and we have given a presentation about them to several groups, and we are always available if required.
  We were glad to see that a pair have returned in the past couple of days, perhaps encouraged off the sea by the gale force winds.  Over recent years the Great Crested Grebes have taken to over wintering on the lake, only leaving for a brief period if the lake freezes over.  We noticed this winter they have not been about and can only think that calm seas and mild weather have encouraged them to stay on the sea.  They didn’t provide good opportunities for photographs today, but there’s plenty of time for that and the likelihood is that at least one more pair will turn up.

Pochard.  Good numbers on the lake.

The smaller lake held a pair of Little Grebes and the Grey Heron was back at its usual spot.  Sadly, one of the Canada Geese seemed to be down with Avian Flu.  Sam informed the appropriate agency but they won’t come out until the bird is actually dead.

Mute Swans

We’ve been taking note of the budding trees and the first signs of plants in leaf.  A Snowdrop was found almost in flower on the 1st.  An eye has also been kept of the hibernating Ladybird species.  One of the better sightings of the month was a sunlit male Sparrowhawk over the lake and our heads.  It eventually perched in the trees and disturbed the Goldfinches. 

I heard a Drumming Great Spotted Woodpecker quite early in the month and mid-way through the month watched male and female Mute Swans carefully gathering nesting material by pulling out one by one reeds that had been flattened to the ground.  In recent years and since the reduction in numbers of the swans on the lake, at least one pair have produced cygnets.  I was chatting to a chap at the lake and he was keen on watching bird behaviour and felt that was the element of birding he enjoyed most.  I couldn’t agree more that that is where the fascination lies.  Forget lists and listing and simply watch!

I’m hoping to widen my travels soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment