Wednesday 3 June 2020

Garden Springwatch


The birds have been rather quieter in the garden during the heat wave of the sunniest spring since 1929, although they have not disappeared and the birdbath has been welcomed, especially of late by families of Starlings.  My mind and camera turned to smaller things in the shape of insects and plants.   If I return for a second life in another form I am hoping it will be as an entomologist.  As I enjoyed the sun and listened to Blackbirds singing and the racket of Starling families, I decided to take some photos of some of the smaller things in the garden.


It was a hoverfly that first caught my eye, the marmalade hoverfly or more scientifically Episyrphus balteatu.  Showing that the rather common can be beautiful.


Just as beautiful are the blow flies, although perhaps their habits may not bring beautiful thoughts to mind.  Surprisingly in the heat of the sun these were easy subjects for the macro lens.




Probably Lucilia sericata the copper coloured one being I believe aged.

 The name blow fly stems from an older English term for meat that had eggs laid on it, which was said to be fly blown.  The first association of the term ‘blow’ with flies is thought to be in the plays of William Shakespeare, Love Labours Lost, The Tempest and Anthony and Cleopatra.


Would you like to wake up next to these beauties?

I remember reading the Collins New Naturalist Bumblebees some years ago and thinking that the photographs were poor.  I have some sympathy these days for the photographer, as I find bees exceedingly difficult to photograph with the macro lens, such is their constant movement.  I managed some decent images, but still struggle with identifying species.   Suppose I am just not that interested in spending time studying the identity of bees.  I do know that if you want to attract bees to the garden, plant a cotoneaster as the bees love them.  I have one in both the back and front garden and they have been covered in bees during this hot spell, so I am doing my bit for conservation.  Last year I also planted some flowers which are attractive to bees and other insects and they are beginning to bloom now.





I will include a butterfly image.  There has been a lack of butterflies in the garden in recent weeks, but at least the regular Speckled Wood is back.  Sadly, this year I have so far not seen the Holly Blue which has been regular in recent years.

Speckled Wood Butterfly

I have let several wildflowers continue to grow in small numbers in the garden, some would say weeds, but not I.  I have included a few here and include garden flowers not planted by me, but that have simply turned up.

This small delicate poppy lasted only one day in the sun.  Probably stems from garden species.

Welsh Poppy opening.

Welsh Poppy

Hopefully these images will bring back thoughts of sunshine and warmth now that the rain is here!

Herb Robert

Herb Bennett

Aquilegia or more commonly Columbine

Aquilegia stems from the Latin term for Eagle (aquila).  The long spurs behind the petals are said to resemble an eagle's claw.  The common name Columbine is Latin for Dove and the inverted flower is said to resemble five doves clustered together.



No comments:

Post a Comment