Sunday 4 August 2019

Butterfly Season...Lurking Beside the Bushes.

Jul 19.  The last few months have been a period when my explorative exploits in the field have been curtailed to a great extent, hence an absence of blog posts.  I’ve found myself at times contemplating the likes of the myriad hues of green in my garden, weeds included, until I sprung to life and became a gardener of sorts.  I’ve also read a good number of books, one of them being a Little Toller edition entitled Emperors, Admirals and Chimney Sweepers which addresses the naming of butterflies and moths.  A fascinating insight in to the ‘name game’ (occasionally it does appear to have been a game) and a good book to dip in and out of.  However, as William Wordsworth noted in an early work as a young man, there is nothing better than watching and experiencing actual nature.

Enough of science and of art;
Close up these barren leaves;
Come forth and bring with you a heart
That watches and receives.

Early William Wordsworth lines.

So, having put down the books and moved to the hard labour in the garden I did end up watching and receiving, perhaps my efforts were being rewarded, in this case by butterflies.

Holly Blue Butterfly

The first notable sighting was the return of at least two Holly Blue Butterflies, which added a touch of colour to the garden, I now had blue to consider as well as the greens!.  I’ve always found this species difficult to photograph, but my lurking by the bushes paid dividends on this occasion.  I first noticed Holly Blue in the garden around twelve years ago and they were certainly uncommon in the area then, and since then they have been seen here each year.  I’m rather proud of them and wonder how many folks in Killingworth know we have Holly Blue Butterflies in the area, or for that matter how many even cares?  I know these butterflies can have two broods and the first appeared in May and as those making a further appearance seem in pristine condition I’m thinking this is a second brood, and all in my garden!  I did wonder initially if these were the first brood returning to lay eggs.

Holly Blue Butterfly

The Holly Blue is our only resident butterfly with a tree in its name.  The scientific name of Celastrina argiolus means holly tree little argus eyes.  I’ve recently learnt that the second brood of the Holly Blue prefer to lay their eggs on ivy.  Holly Blue is a relatively recent name for this species once referred to as Azure Blue.  I’ve watched this species further north in Scandinavia, where of course the food plant is something entirely different.

Now the 4th August, I still have the Holly Blue flying in my garden.  I saw for the first time that it was attracted to the Buddleia tree.  The Buddleia has this year attracted many different species, not least Painted Lady Butterflies in double figures.  This gave me the chance to take some images of this attractive species which I am saving for a further blog later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment