Tuesday 15 January 2013

Swanbusters!



15th Jan.  There appears to have been much talk locally about the number of Mute Swans on Killingworth Lake.  I suspect much of the talk has been done by a vociferous, but limited number of people.  The Evening Chronicle included an article last week (and I understand on 14th Jan also) as to the way numbers of Mute Swans have grown over recent years and also the growing number of Canada Geese.  Much of the blame for this is in the eyes of some locals very much at the hands of those who feed the birds large quantities of inappropriate food.  The Chronicle also reported on the poor condition of the area and the suggestion is this is the fault of the birds.

Mute Swan
 
I do of course acknowledge that feeding birds large quantities of bread or other inappropriate food in any pond environment is not in the long term interests of either birds or the ecology of the pond or lake.  There does appear to be too many Mute Swans on Killingworth Lake relative to its size.

Mute Swan
 
However as a regular user of the Killingworth Park area there are a few points I’d like to make.
  • Surely everyone appreciates that the mess around the lake is not entirely the fault of the Mute Swans.  We have had perhaps the wettest summer recorded in the area during 2012 making for very muddy conditions.  You just have to walk anywhere in the Northeast to understand that many areas are muddy and waterlogged.
  • Numbers of birds on the lake vary considerably throughout the year.  The Chronicle article calls the number of Mute Swans at 181 and Canada Geese at 89.  In respect of the Mute Swans that is one of the higher numbers, although they have reached 190 on occasions.  In respect of the Canada Geese the count the newspaper was given is actually way below the number I counted on 24th November 2012 as at that time there were at a minimum 153 and that number remained for a few weeks.  That high number I believe had little to do with feeding, but these were birds passing through the area.
  • Quite a lot of the dirt and rubbish around the lake, and in it, is caused by humans rather than the birds.  Some may remember images I have put on this blog in the past where such filth has been left to accumulate in the lake.
  • One off the worst sites is the floating reed-bed that has been completely neglected by the council, and such neglect floats there for all to see.  I’ve been told that there is a grant to be used to rectify this problem and I hope that this is done as soon as possible and with as little disruption to wildlife as possible (especially during breeding times). 
  • Suggestions that the reed-bed was killed off by birds attempting to nest on it have been made.  In my view if a floating reed-bed is placed in the lake, what do people expect other than birds attempting to nest on it?  In fact I and others who are regular users of the park believe the reed-bed was killed off by recent icy winters and that it has been left as an eyesore ever since.  I made my views clear on this some time ago and at least one senior council officer agreed with the view I expressed.
  • As I say, over feeding of the Mute Swans and other birds is clearly not a good idea and I hope that that issue can be resolved.  What in my view seems to have been forgotten is that the council provided feeding of the birds during long periods when the lake was frozen.  I believe a local supermarket provided food.  That was to be applauded, but of course this in itself attracted birds from other areas and more than likely explains some of the increase in the Mute Swan numbers.  I’ve raised this point on more than one occasion, but have never been given any response which would suggest that anyone had acknowledged that this feeding may have attracted more Mute Swans or other waterfowl to the lake.
  • It should be noted that Mute Swans travel to the lake from various areas and I have seen one there only this week that was ringed in Edinburgh and I’m told another visits from Blackpool.
  • I’ve heard tales of concern having been expressed by a parent/s about their child/children being frightened by the Mute Swans.  Putting myself in the position of a small child I can understand how that can occasionally happen.  Being towered over by large objects or animals can be frightening when you’re very small.  Surely however this is part of growing up and an ideal opportunity to teach children about wildlife and what they ought to fear, and more importantly not fear.  Hopefully we won’t reach the point of hearing concerns about children being attacked by Mute Swans or being carried off by them!  I can only say my memory suggests that an early introduction to birds for me as a child was going to the local ponds to feed them.  The lake and its wildlife should be used to the full to introduce youngsters to the nature around them.  Council, schools and families should work together in this respect.  I’m certainly aware that some families do encourage their children’s interests in this respect as I’ve often seen them around the lake.
Whooper Swan (Killingworth Lake)
 
Anyway, I’m glad to have read that there are wildlife organisations, including the RSPB, involved in advising the council as this will hopefully ensure that there is oversight as to how any problem is dealt with and that  actions are taken after proper advice is sought.  I noted that the local Councillor has stated that people like to watch the swans.

A North Tyneside website describes Killingworth Lake Park as ‘a wildlife escape in an urban environment’.  I sincerely hope that it remains that way in the long term and therefore hope that any plans that are now being made are made in order to ensure that it does.  Much of North Tyneside has been built upon in recent years.  I was reminded recently, that this in itself, may cause wildlife to seek the few sanctuaries left in the area.  Many of us want Killingworth Lake and lakeside to remain an area where we can walk with wildlife and we will carefully monitor how the area develops.  I was reminded recently that everyone’s needs must be considered and I only hope that includes the needs of wildlife.  If the wildlife is to be given continued priority then the plans will have my support and I’m sure the support of many others.  I’ve just learnt that  there is to be a consultation meeting soon (appropriately being held at the White Swan Building!) and I shall attend if at all possible. 

Whooper Swan (Killingworth Lake)
 
I’ll leave you with the following (with apologies to Ghostbusters) :-)

(Swanbusters!)
If there's somethin' strange in your neighborhood
Who ya gonna call?
(Swanbusters!)

If it's somethin' weird an' it don't look good
Who ya gonna call?
(Swanbusters!)

I ain't afraid o' no swan
I ain't afraid o' no swan

If you're seein' things runnin' through your head
Who can you call?
(Swanbusters!)

An invisible cob crappin’ in your street
Oh who ya gonna call?
(Swanbusters!)

I ain't afraid o' no swan
I ain't afraid o' no swan

Who ya gonna call?
(Swanbusters!)

4 comments:

  1. Good points Brian! Yeah it's quite probably just a minority of people doing the complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,

    excellent blog which describes the situation perfectly.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers guys.
    Hopefully NT Council will deal with this issue appropriately. Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, fingers crossed they use some common sense.

    ReplyDelete