Tuesday 30 October 2012

Patch Matters!



30th Oct.  One of the positive changes I have been lucky enough to witness during my bird watching career is the recovery of some raptor species.  I would hope that all who have even a passing interest in birds and wildlife would appreciate this as a positive indicator.  I’m of course fully aware that some folk do not share that view and only yesterday I was talking to someone who spoke of the Sparrowhawk nuisance.  I’m attending a talk soon on the plight of the Hen Harrier and I know before I step into the lecture theatre that I’m going to hear the often repeated depressing information about Hen Harriers in England.  So progress does remain limited.  In my opinion it always will, until more and more effort is made by organisations to involve more and more people.  As I’ve said on more than one occasion most folk are never going to be serious bird watchers, ornithologists or twitchers, but many of them can be enthused by birds if the effort is put in and it’s that direction that much of the effort should go.  Hence my on going attempts to involve less serious bird watchers.  I do know that some of people I have come across, see birding in general as involving a clique at times.  Their word, not mine, but I can understand where they are coming from.  Many hobbies and interests often do seem to fall into the same trap.

Happily I have noticed quite a number of raptors on patch recently.  Just a couple of days ago Sam reported a Peregrine Falcon hunting over Killingworth Lake and today within seconds of leaving my front door had a Sparrowhawk being mobbed by crows above my head.

When I reached the lake I found the smaller area taken over by Canada Geese.  There were over one hundred on the lake today.  The flock of Greylag Geese, seen a few days ago, appears to have just been passing through and only the family of five Greylag Geese remain.  I was half expecting them to leave with the larger flock.  The pair of Great Crested Grebe were no where to be seen and also may now have left for the winter.  We had a bit of a false start recently when they disappeared only to return again.  I think their second and rather late brood has kept them back longer than usual whilst they built up resources.  Three Little Grebe remain.  The fourth one may just have been hidden.  There are still only two Goosanders (one of them the long stayer) and two Goldeneye on the lake at present, whilst Common Gull numbers appear not to have built up as yet. 

As happened yesterday afternoon, the light appeared to improve just before the darkness of the evening came in.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sparrowhawk nuisance? One of my favourite ever birds, without a doubt. Stunning, agile, built for speed and evolution personified. Sparrowhawk nuisance? Homo sapiens ignorance more like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aye G, ignorance I guess. No problem with ignorance when there is a willingness/acceptance that beliefs can alter, but so often that willingness/acceptance isn't there in people. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only assume that when people talk about such birds being a 'nuisance' they mean in terms of their hunting?

    It would be strange if they doubted the beauty of a raptor such as the Sparrowhawk. (But there again, I suppose some folks are a bit on the weird side, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many people seem to be be better able to accept predators on the plains of Africa and other distant places far easier than accepting predators in their back garden Mark! Then of course there are those who have a financial interest, but lets not go there.
    On a slightly different note I've just been reading up on specimens sent to Thomas Bewick in 1794 and it refers to a Turtle Dove shot out of a flock at Prestwick Carr in 1794. They are still being shot in massive numbers and shooting trips to foreign parts have apparently been arranged in this country for that very reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah and having predators in their back garden is a lot cheaper than having to go on safari, lol! It's hard to understand how some people don't appreciate such wonderful nature!

    Re: the Turtle Doves. I wonder if any attempts have been made to curtail the shooting trips? I suppose as they take place abroad, it's difficult to intervene unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe at least one of the adverts for these shooting trips was removed from a website following concerns being expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's good. Hopefully other websites follow suit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My wife Carole has seen a Sparrowhawk take at least 6 birds in our garden and is absolutely heartbroken at each one but she is still in awe of the beauty of the bird and realises that it is nature. (I think she admires the beauty of the bird because it reminds her so much of me - LOL)

    John

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha ha Dream on John, dream on.:-)
    Must admit I don't like to watch Sparrowhawks take anything either if I'm honest. A while ago a Starling was plucked alive on the lawn and was still screeching as the hawk flew off over the neighbouring roof.

    ReplyDelete