Wednesday 4 April 2012

On Patch after the Deluge

4th April. I took a walk down to the lake today more or less to check out any damage following the dreadful weather of yesterday. At least it was mainly dry today apart from a scattering of hail every now and again from the thunderous looking grey clouds. It was windy and cold.


I noted that the Great Crested Grebes were ok although once again I found only one on the larger lake. The one I found foraging on the small lake looked soaked through still and was being harassed by two Coots after a free lunch. There was some calling and the grebe appeared to hunch down on the water at one point. The Coot’s nest on the open water appears to have been flooded and washed away eggs and all. I think the birds have realised that the sojourn in the sun is over for now!


The larger lake was fairly sparse. I can’t for the life of me think where a Great Crested Grebe would be nesting. Does one of these birds keep flying off and returning?


At least five Goldeneye remain.



Low in the water (lake not sea!) and rather damp.


I took walk up past the church and onwards to the wagon-way having good sightings of Chiffchaff along the way. I believe I heard a Goldcrest, but I couldn’t find it. There were the usual garden birds about but no Swallows at the farm. I’d found them there on 4th April last year, but at that time I seem to remember it was mild in comparison today.


I found one lone Greater Stitchwort Stellaria holostea in flower, where there will soon be a carpet of them. I think they may be a bit late this year. Some vernacular names for this plant include snapdragons, snapcrackers (because of the ease of which the stalk breaks), poppers and pop-guns (because of the habit it has of noisily firing off its seeds).


Greater Stitchwort Stellaria holostea

1 comment:

  1. Good that the Great Crested Grebe's and Goldeneye haven't been too badly affected by the weather.

    I suppose some of the nests were also likely to be flooded, given the volume of rain (and snow) yesterday. It certainly made up for the last few weeks!

    ReplyDelete