Monday 10 August 2009

Hot Days on Patch 2

Grey Heron
Great Crested Grebe

Speckled Wood


Bittersweet



Bittersweet




7th August. Another hot day and a walk to the lake, finding a Speckled Wood Butterfly in the church grounds, a first on patch and showing just how much this species appears to be extending range I reckon. Other butterflies seen today were Small White, Peacock, Meadow Brown and Small Skipper.

The small lake was quiet. The resident Grey Heron appeared to be undisturbed by my close proximity as it watched the water intently for sign of movement. It wasn’t long before I found numbers of Common Blue and Blue-tailed Damselflies.

The pair of Little Grebe was there, but I have seen no sign that they have nested. The pair of Great Crested Grebe swam with one juvenile bird a piece in toe. One of the youngsters seems still to be quite reliant upon the adult for feeding whilst the other seems to be content most of the time to seek its own food. Both remaining youngsters have come along very well. The occasional Swallow flew over the pond whilst the flock of Black Headed Gulls made for a pleasing sight whilst flying to feed amongst the rubbish which had found its way into the lake. I need to have a look on the larger lake which I’ve neglected of late.

I called at the site nearby where the school had been demolished and I found a favourite flower of mine, Bittersweet Solanum dulcamara, with this one appearing in various stages of growth. Whilst in places, in full flower and budding, part of the plant was also in fruit. The berries still green.
I returned via the church grounds and as I made for the open area opposite the estate I watched as a dragonfly flew around the area and between the trees, most of the time lower than 5`. I was unable to get a decent look at it before it flew off into the church woodland, but did catch sight of green on the abdomen. It’s colouring, size, flight and habitat confirms to me that it was a Southern Hawker. Another first on patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment