Monday 13 April 2009

Sand Martin Feast


I picked up, a little late, that a Little Gull had been seen on Killingworth Lake this afternoon so decided to have a walk round there early evening. As I had expected all of the gulls had left the lake by the time I arrived. Another patch tick missed! I missed the Mandarin earlier in the year too!

My disappointment was eased by the number of Sand Martins feeding across the lake. Impossible to estimate numbers but upwards of 100 I reckon. New arrivals I assume. I watched and listened to them for a good while until I began to chill and decided to take a quick walk round the lake before returning via the village. Everything was settling down around the lake apart from a few youths! ;-) I note they have built kiddies play area down at the bottom of the lake. I can only hope it remains there and does not encroach onto my patch!

There were a few Swallows amongst the Sand Martins and a few relaxed Cormorants around the Lake. A Grey Heron watched the water intently from the pathway until I approached and then it flew across the lake. Quite a few Canada Geese remain and the 2 Great Crested Grebe still seem content to keep to there own areas of the lake. Chiffchaff, Willow Warblers, Chaffinch, and Blackbirds were amongst the songsters as I passed through the church grounds.


I got myself a photo of the Cormorant. Don't expect too many bird photos. They have to be big and close for me to get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment