Thursday 9 April 2020

Enjoying Nature and Reflecting Despite Lockdown


To use a couple of words now in constant use, lockdown has certainly had me ramp up the garden bird watching.  I’ve spent several hours this past week sat at the patio door with camera at the ready.  Patch birding to my mind is without doubt the best and most rewarding part of bird watching and of course if you have a garden it will often be a central part of your patch.  I remember being asked some years ago by a then up and coming twitcher ‘’do you not get bored watching the same area and birds all of the time’’?  I’d like to think that now a little more mature, that the person in question will have a better understanding of the merits of patch birding.  Of course, present circumstances will have presented the need of all birdwatchers to stick to patch, at any rate one would hope so.

Chiffchaff on Rose Bush

Blackcap female

I took the opportunity whilst watching the garden to take some images of common, and in a couple of cases less common garden birds.  I’ve always been proud of the numbers of birds attracted to my very small garden in the middle of housing estates in a now not so new township.  Gardens will become more and more of a haven for birds and other wildlife in this and other areas, as concrete and brick cover more and more green areas around us.  If my garden can attract birds, so can yours, and without too much effort!  Council and developer talk of wildlife corridors (don’t corridors have to lead somewhere?) and increasing biodiversity is simply political spin in my opinion, whilst your garden (if you are lucky enough to have one) could form part of a pattern that provides space in a real and practical manner.


Robin

Dunnock

In no way do I try to deflect from the fact that I travel in normal circumstances to watch birds, although chasing rarities is not and has never been my thing.  With such activity along with much else out of the question at present, it is not only garden watching that I have ramped up.  I’ve been digging out some old music albums that I retain from my youth and the one I have lined up to play next is, Snow Goose by Camel, recorded in 1975 and inspired by Paul Gallico’s book The Snow Goose.  I was given a copy of the latter, which is illustrated by Peter Scott as a gift from a good friend.  I believe the central character of the book was based largely on Peter Scott himself.  The book was also made into a film of course.  Now the Snow Goose is one bird I would chase after and I envy the author William Fiennes who followed the migration of Snow Geese in North America and produced the book The Snow Goose which I have somewhere, but can’t find.


Chaffinch

House Sparrow with friend

As well as albums I’ve been revisiting one or two of my older bird books, and one I pulled out the other day was Robert Dougal’s Celebration of Birds.   Readers of a certain age will remember Robert was a News Reader on BBC as well as becoming President of the RSPB.  I found the receipt for the book inside and see that I purchased it from Thornes Bookshop on Percy Street, Newcastle on 12th March 1979.  Good grief, that is over 40 years ago.  As the man said, I do not believe it!   The book contains quite a bit of poetry and poetry has appealed to me more as I have aged.  Poems can say so much with so few words if put together well, although I confess there is some poetry I would not touch with a barge pole and even more that I don’t quite understand.  I have become keen on the poet John Clare as I know no other poet that describes the natural world around him so well.  Clare also wrote very well about working farms and villages in the nineteenth century and although written long before my childhood they do bring back memories of days spent on the farm I visited as a child.  In the early 1960s the farm still used a horse in the fields.  Bob, the horse, would not have looked out of place in a scene set in Clare’s time and neither would the hay-gathers, when everyone mucked in, have looked out of place.  I remember well hot sunny days in the meadow when everyone would break when the farmers wife brought down the basket of scones, sandwiches and large pots of tea.  I must thank my friends Hilary and Kelsey for introducing me to Clare’s works and the artwork of Carry Akroyd that often accompanies them, and I have been reading this poetry and admiring the artwork over the past few days.

Great Tit

Blue Tit

Goldfinch shares bath with Blue Tit

Returning to Robert Dougal, he describes in Celebration of Birds a two man show he and Newcastle born James Alder (one time president of the Natural History Society of Northumbria amongst many other roles) were involved in at the Theatre Royal, Newcastle on the 5th November 1970.  Were you there?  Apparently James had with him an injured Kestrel which he released and it flew off into the auditorium.  On hearing James call it, the bird immediately flew back to him.  I know James would often help injured birds back to fitness and rerelease them whenever possible.  Prior to the show James had written to The Evening Chronicle about Kestrels breeding on top of a crane on the banks of the Tyne.  I have a book about this very subject which was completed from notes by the son of James Alder after his father’s death.


Starling

I’ve included here several images taken this week in the garden and hope you enjoy them.  There’s nothing of great rarity but it was never my intention to capture such.  I was pleased to see a Chiffchaff and a pair of Blackcap, the latter may be nesting at the foot of the garden as may a pair of Robins.  The BlueTits are exploring their usual box and the now resident Wood Pigeons have been very amorous and are nesting in the large tree again.  Noticeable absentees whist I watched were Coal Tit, Wren and Song Thrush. Perhaps too busy nesting elsewhere.  I was pleased to count several Blackbirds, this perhaps being my favourite visitor, not least because of its song.  On quiet spring evenings, and every evening is quiet just now, the song of the Blackbird is a joy to hear as the early evening light begins to fade.  Over two or three days I listened to the drumming of Great Spotted Woodpecker.  I wonder how many of my neighbours noticed that?

Wood Pigeon

Jackdaw

Greenfinch

I’ll let John Clare have the final word.  Stay well.

The Blackbird



The blackbird is a bonny bird;
I love his morning suit,
And song in the spring mornings heard
As mellow as the flute.
How sweet his song in April showers
Pipes from his golden bill
As Yellow as the kingcup flowers,
The sweetest ditty still.

No comments:

Post a Comment