Tuesday 15 January 2019

A Windy Patch Walk

13th Jan.  I didn’t let the wind deter me from keeping to one of my resolutions and I walked to the north of the patch today, not with any great expectations of seeing many birds because of the conditions.  The sun was shining however, it was mild and the light was good.


Just as I thought I was going to see little but corvids I got my eye on a distant flock of birds that eventually proved to be in the main Fieldfares, along with a few Redwings.  As I stood by the edge of the fields Chaffinches flew up into the trees and I heard alarm calls, at the same time the Fieldfares and Redwings took off.  The action had been caused by a Sparrowhawk which flew across the hedge within a few yards of me.  The hawk hadn’t disturbed three Grey Partridges in the centre of the field.
I continued my walk following the pathway across the fields until I reached what I count as the northern boundary of my patch.  The flash which often attracts waders was completely dried up and there was nothing to be seen or heard in the hedges.  A Common Buzzard did appear over one of the more distant hedges.

On my return walk I found that the one-hundred plus flock of winter thrushes had resettled in the field, but there was now no sign of Grey Partridges.  What I had previously thought to be a large sandstone type stone in the opposite field turned out to be two Brown Hares hunkered down from the wind.

Although in the main farmland, this area gives off a feeling of wildness not found on other sections of the patch, especially now that so much work is ongoing throughout the area.  Long may that feeling of wildness last.  The minutes were ticking by fast as I kept an eye on the changing skyline.  Changing in more ways than one in that from one of highest points from which the lighthouse at St Mary’s Island is clearly visible, a one-hundred - and eighty degree view contains several areas of wind turbines, something I guess we are all having to get used too.

The ‘noise’ of House Sparrows gradually increased as I re-entered the housing estates.

15th Jan.  Nice to find Tree Sparrow at the Rising Sun C P today and even nicer to see this species apparently doing well there.  My year list creeps slowly towards 100 (now on 98) which I am hoping to pass before the weeks out.  I’m still to find a Greenfinch this year!

The C P was generally quiet, although I found a Common Buzzard on a fence in the farm area and watched a good display of typical circular feeding given by Shoveler’s on the pond.  Water Rail had been recorded at Duke’s Pond, but I had little chance of seeing it as dog walker with mobile phone stuck to ear allowed his dog to run through the pool chasing the birds.  He managed to unglue ear long enough to ask if I was watching the birds (as if he cared) and if so he would remove the dog.  Dog was removed and about ten minutes later further along the path a horse with rider was panicked and had to be settled down when an uncontrolled dog came at it barking.  Yes, you have guessed, the owner still had his phone stuck to ear further along the pathway, about 60 yards from the dog.  Nice dog, shame about the owner, there always has to be one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment