Wednesday 16 March 2016

A Unique View of the Aurora Borealis



I know that there are lots of images on show of the Northern Lights as seen from the Northumberland coast in recent times, but I think that it’s  a fair bet that there aren’t many (if any) that were taken from Coquet Island.  In fact there can’t be many people in recent times who have viewed the Northern Lights from Coquet Island.  Sam had the privilege of watching the lights from the island whilst out there volunteering for a week, helping prepare the island for the return of nesting birds including of course the Roseate Terns.  Sam has kindly sent me a few images and I asked if I could put a couple on my blog.

Courtesy of Samuel Hood
 
I know Sam has learned much from his experiences on Coquet Island and has received great support from the staff who manage the island.  None of us ought to forget the work of staff and volunteers that goes on behind the scenes on places such as Coquet Island, whilst we enjoy watching birds and other wildlife in Northumberland.

Courtesy of Samuel Hood
 
Hopefully the Roseate Tern population will have another good breeding season on Coquet Island in 2016.

4 comments:

  1. A nice bonus for Sam while volunteering there Brian and a great place to capture it from. Superb images !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers John. Sam began his week on the Sunday and the lights appeared that night so it was quite a start for him. I believe there was some hard work, cold and damp dismal days during the week to balance things out a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is beautiful view. I really like Coquet Island. Its amazing to watch Aurora here. I will definitely go there. Alaska is also a good place to watch aurora. If you want to see then book Alaska northern lights tours

    ReplyDelete