Thursday 24 April 2014

Year Ticks on Patch



24th April.  As someone said to me this evening, this is a great time of year to be watching wildlife.

I took the chance this evening to nip down to the lake in the hope of finding House Martins and Common Terns.  In fact one of the first species that caught my eye was a pair of Common Sandpipers.  I’ve recorded this species at the lake over recent years.  It wasn’t long before I was also watching House Martins in some number amongst the Sand Martins and Swallows feeding over the lake.  Next to be found was a couple of Common Terns.  This gave me three year ticks within two or three minutes almost without moving and whilst enjoying a chat to two keen lake watchers who both clearly knew their stuff when it came to the bird life.

Early evening at this time of year, when all of the hustle and bustle has stopped is an excellent time to stand/sit watch and listen.  Amongst numerous birds heard were Blackbird, Song Thrush, Blackcap and Chiffchaff.


 The Scaup remains on the lake and the two paired sets of Great Crested Grebes have now got their nests built.  The original pair is a little ahead of the pair on the smaller lake which was still carrying large reeds to add to the nest.  The second pair to my mind is in a rather more protected position.  I was unable to find the fifth great Crested Grebe which has been seen on the lake in recent days.

 
As I made for home the temperature began to drop as mist began to thinly veil at least parts of the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment