Sunday 13 February 2011

Save Your Forests/Chopwell Rally







13th Feb. I attended the Rally at Chopwell Woods today. I refrained from stripping my clothes off and handcuffing myself to a tree (I'm sure you'll be relieved to hear that), it was far too damp and chilly for such antics, but at least I was there. The handcuffs if not the strip is being held in reserve should the Government decide not to change course!:-) There were several hundred attenders today. I believe that there is a long winded consultation document on which individuals can make comment on the final page. I hope many will seek this out and return it with comments so that the pressure builds.


Before the rally I did take a walk. I was hoping to find Goldcrest but didn't. It wasn't ideal conditions for birding and the paths were very muddy. The following were found however, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Treecreeper (lots), Nuthatch (more heard than seen), Robin, Blackbird, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Carrion Crow and Magpie. I did catch a glimpse of a raptor, but it was only a glimpse as it was more or less hidden by the trees. It may have been a Red Kite, but I couldn't be sure.

2 comments:

  1. It certainly was well-attended and hopefully shall make a positive impact.

    A shame about the Goldcrest, however, you don't often see lots of Treecreepers about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Media report suggested over 1,000 people had attended Mark. Not sure how they worked that out. I would have said that there was c500 there when I was about. Brian.

    ReplyDelete